Yes, January sucks arse but here are some small ways to find the joy.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
My husband would kill me for saying that. He thinks it should be limited to New Year’s Day only. I think it’s cheerful and friendly and valid for the whole of January. So there.
Anyway. It’s bloody horrible out there isn’t it? I’m currently sitting at our dining room table looking out on a grey street littered with half dead Christmas trees waiting for the recycling boys to come and take them away. Our boiler has finally given up the ghost so I’ve got the fire lit and I’m trying to think warm thoughts.
It’s easy to let the gloom take hold in a month that feels interminable. We are all poorer, fatter and sicker than we were a couple of months ago. So this year, I didn’t make a resolution so much as just decide that I would find the joy wherever I could. You have to look hard to find it but it’s there.
Here are a few of the ways I’m finding the happy for January 2018:
- The most revelatory thing that I’ve done is try to be mindful. I’m reading A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle. I’ve previously read The Power Of Now and I honestly think that mindfulness is the key to true contentment with your lot. If you do one thing this month, study mindfulness. It’s honestly life changing.
- Only surround yourself with people who make you feel good about yourself. You can’t make everyone love you, some just won’t. Stop trying so hard with those energy stealers and focus on the good ones. Like my Carrie:
- Look for Life. I’ve just been in the garden and although it all looks grey and dead and twiggy, there IS life there. There are buds and shoots and the promise of new life and warmer times right there to see.
- Embrace the Hygge. Light the fire, draw the curtains, grab a blanket, light that poncey new scented candle that Santa bought for you and watch Silent Witness. There is nothing wrong with not leaving the house at all for the whole month (except to go and get more bread-based comfort food)
- Ditch the Diet. Honestly, how miserable do you want to BE? It’s cold, you’ll be needing that extra layer of fat to keep you warm. As soon as the crocii show their sunny yellow and purple faces, I’ll get out there and run it off. In the meantime, in order to keep my endorphins flowing, it’ll be a Davina workout in the comfort of my sitting room a couple of times a week.
- Cuddle someone. Probably best to make it someone you know;). If there is no one to cuddle, get a pet (stroking cats is proven to lower your blood pressure). If there’s no way to get a pet, get a cuddly toy. Honestly, there’s a reason we have them when we are little.
- Have a bath. There are two types of people in this world, people who love a bath, and people who don’t know what they’re missing.
- Know that it WILL PASS. Spring is just around the corner. Stay hopeful.
I’m not sure how much use any of this will be to anyone, but I can safely say that this New Year has been my happiest ever.
Oh and I’ve already started making some gifts for the year ahead. I’ve re-potted some Chinese Money Plant (Pilea Peperomioides) shoots from the mother plant. That was another lovely, joyful thing to do. I do love a green-fingered potter.
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! Be Happy. I hope you find the joy.